Saturday, October 04, 2008

so close, yet so far away.

Today was the Second Annual Sherwood Forest Golf Classic. It was an awesome time with good people at Sierra Meadows Country Club just outside of Oakhurst. There was one hole in particular, hole 5, a 170 yard par-3 over water to a green surrounded by bunkers; that was the stage for a $20,000 hole in one prize. That was no misprint, $20,000. So I jovially stepped up to the tee (following Tony Biasell, one of my partners for the day) and took my swing at the prize. My three partners and I (accompanied by 4 other witnesses) watched my ball take flight starting just to the right of the flag, then moving slightly back to the left. Anticipation and emotions rose as the ball started to fall towards the pin. THUD!! it landed 2 feet behind the pin and tried to trickle toward the hole stopping just inside of a putters length from the cup and the 20,000 g's that would have accompanied it. I cant remember the last time I have been so thrilled and angry at the exact same time. As my heart raced we went to the green and I tapped in the easy birdie putt and we moved on. The only thing I could think of as we approached the next tee was how much that would have had an impact on our student loans...bummer.

1 comment:

-Jeremy said...

Geoff, If you had hit that I would be driving up to Calvin Crest and taking a picture of you to replace Tiger Woods on the next Sports Illustrated.