Friday, March 02, 2007

Bubba vs. the deer

Today I witnessed one of the most amazing things my eyes have ever seen. Four youngish deer were in the Crotty's back yard. I was watching them watch the creek and watch me as they walked on their way. And then Bob (Mr. Crotty) got the idea that we should let Bubba have a go at them. I thought that was an ok idea knowing there was zero chance for Bubba to do anything remotly close to what he wanted to do to them. For some back story, the Crotty's dog Bubba, a 13 or so (nobody really knows how old he is, they got him as a stray) year old dog is a huskyish, wolfish, muttish type dog, and he is obviously getting up in years. But upon seeing the deer he took off after them, as he has done many times before. And of course...they ran off. End of story right? Wrong.
I watched Bubba as he continued to follow close behind (as close as the deer would let him.) And then he took off again. Three of the deer evaded him, but one freaked out and ran in to a fence, giving Bubba just enough time to hurl his mass at it; and he knocked the deer off its pins! (This is the point in the story where the squeamish should no longer continue their reading, but I must continue) Bubba proceeded to gnaw on the deers back leg. The deer got up, and Bubba knocked it over again The deer got a up a second time and Bubba knocked it over again and continued to gnaw. This was obviously causing a lot of ruckus so the neighbors were out trying to see what was going on, and what was letting out that God awful cry. Finally the deer got up a third time, and was able to zig zag the grasp of the leaping K-9. As Bubba chased after the deer(barking an insane bark that I had never heard uttered from his jowls previously) I was left to ponder what had just happened.
I'm pretty sure the deer made it away, and I was able to call Bubba off and grab him by the collar. But as he was running circles around me he had a crazed look in his eye, not to mention a mouth full of deer hair. I was in a state of shock. I will never look at the dog the same as we go on future walks together. I have a new found respect for said dog, and who knows if he wont be sizing me up next time. For know that's a risk I am willing to take in adventures with Bubba the deer slayer. Deep breath...wow.

No comments: